Friday, August 22, 2008

My SUSPENSION! via EBAY

This might get long... so here it goes
Well I have to be honest - I really only scour EBAY I never actually buy things. But I am quite hell bent on getting that really HOT hermes-rocket typewriter. So I went to sign in the other day and for some reason Ebay told me my account was SUSPENDED!!!! WHAT? Suspended? I couldn't even tell you the last time I actually made a purchase on Ebay... I had in the past (and by past I mean many many moons) only made 'buy it now' purchases because the actual bidding on Ebay confuses me a bit.

SO I thought that maybe I had made a purchase and then never paid and Ebay suspended my account because of that? I was really nervous and scared like a school kid in trouble, but I knew I needed to resolve the issue. So Ebay sent me to this IM chat room so I could talk/write one on one with a person from Customer Support. Well my persons name was Angelo F. and I tried to keep our conversation light and funny because I thought I was in trouble and I figured he held the keys to me being reinstated with EBAY. SO then he asks me if I remember registering my account at an address in Brooklyn {see - I tried to tell you it was many moons ago - I haven't lived in Brooklyn since 2005}. I told Angelo "I do!" and he wanted my complete address... I told him to wait because I had to search some old e-mails to see if it was in there because I have moved 3 times since then and I didn't know that old address off the top of my head. Luckily I was able to uncover it in an old e-mail {me not throwing away any old e-mails does occasionally come in handy}. Angelo then proceeds to ask me if I have any immediate family members with an EBAY account? Um, I don't think so, but maybe my sister. Then Angelo needs me to find out. So I text my sister to ask... and she tells me that NO she does not have an EBAY account. Well he then tells me that I did not give him enough information to verify my account and that I am going to have to send some documentation proving I am who I say I am. AND that part of that documentation needs to list my old Brooklyn address. WOAH WOAH WOAH... So I wrote him and I told him that taking longer is not the issue, I can handle that.... but what is going on? What happened to my account and what kind of documents does he need other than my Brooklyn address? He then ignores the first half of my question and only answers the part about the documentation.

I then write "Um, Angelo - I feel that you are avoiding my first question {ha}" (the 'ha' was me keeping it light)
he was nice about it and said that EBAY would be more than happy to explain what happened after I send over the documentation.

So last night I rummage through some old papers and luckily I kept a few pay stubs from an old job that had my Brooklyn address on there and just now EBAY wrote me to tell me that my account is OFF suspension!!! YAY - apparently I didn't do anything wrong and an unauthorized 3rd party hacked into my account. BOOO, but EBAY is taking the steps to make it all better

4 comments:

Ashley said...

why would anyone want to steal your ebay id??? that is lame. what a long process though! glad you got it back in action!

Anonymous said...

If hackers gain access to your account they then list high-priced items. When the items sell they direct payment to themselves but never deliver the product. They get the money and your account takes the hit. I had it happen to me once but, fortunately, eBay caught it and took the listings down before I even noticed them(amazing since I am online most of the time!).

Jennifer
Certified eBay Business Consultant

Ashley said...

wow! jen, whomever you are, first, i had on idea anyone else even read mfc's blog, second, thanks for the sweet info.

mfc, your bomb pink chairs sold for way more than 28 bones.

meleiarw said...

Jennifer -

Yeah I had no idea any of this was going on... I mean obviously if my account had been on suspension since 2005. But EBAY was really great and I totally appreciate them going to the lengths they did to be %100 sure I was who I said I was.

M.